Saturday, January 24, 2009

Post-Inaugural Wrap-Up - Part 1

For those of you who didn't make the trip to DC to make photographs of the "big day", and who likely enjoyed it from the warm and toasty comfort of your own home, skipping the frigid weather and long hours, here's your chance to see it up-close and personal.

Photographer David Bergman posted his 1,474MP panoramic image on his blog, in an article - How I Made a 1,474-Megapixel Photo During President Obama’s Inaugural Address, and it's well worth a view. In it, It's so detailed that I can see myself all the way across the podium area, with my multi-camera setup (more on that in Part 2), and you can see that I'm not wearing a hat, it's that sharp.

During the event, I went around and did several interviews of people, and I wish I had known about Berman's project, as I would have tried to make it up to his position, except I might have been thwarted because I didn't have the right overlay. Part 3 of the wrap-up will have those interviews.

(comments, if any, after the Jump)


Please post your comments by clicking the link below. If you've got questions, please pose them in our Photo Business Forum Flickr Group Discussion Threads.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow... that's you in the yellow coat on the top row, right?

Anonymous said...

correction... second row from the top. I've just spend 20 min looking for a friend who was in close. This is addictive.

Anonymous said...

Aside from you and the other 200 PJers freezing that day; where's the exclusive photos?

Were you there to witness this or to make a living? It looks to me like everybody basically got the same photo(s); and if the economies of supply and demand are prevalent here, other than the historical value (which you might not ever realize and those who were shooting for newspapers and agencies will never see an extra nickel from these photos unless of course they just happen to keep a couple of images for themselves and market them under a pseudonym; which I'm sure has never happened because we know that most PJers are so ethical) the value of these photos isn't much.

Hopefully you got a good dayrate for all the prep time and effort you put forth.

John Harrington said...

Anonymous --

Thanks for your note. I was there earning a living, and also, as a photojournalist, serving as witness for others through my images. I'll touch more on the how in another post soon, but I own my copyright to these images, and I control the licensing of them, so I will, over the life of the copyright, generate fair and reasonable licensing fees for those images. If you were there working for an agency where they are work-made-for-hire, well, then, you're right, you won't see an extra dime from the photos.

Further, while it may seem like everyone would get the same photos, that's not quite the case, and many were shooting for specific purposes. You'll learn more about that in the videos that are forthcoming.

Cheers,
John

John Harrington said...

KC -

Yes, that is me in the yellow coat, second row from the top.

-- John

Charles King said...

For an exclusive photo you needed to have a remote setup and needed to be able to negotiate with the relevant authorities to let them place your camera in a unique position. See FIRST LOOK: New View Of The Inauguration. Note the line that says, "Kennedy began lobbying for the remote camera position shortly after election day."

As always, access is everything. If you want a great shot, you need to spend a lot of time lobbying for a placement that none of your rivals will have.

Anonymous said...

John

I understand that you own the copyright of those images; what I'm wondering is how are you going to compete with the hundreds of very similar images that the newspapers, wire services, and agency photos that where taken that day when it comes to licensing fees. Let's face it, those licensing fees set by the photo agencies have been dropping at an alarming rate and you when add in micro stock that I'm sure will be carrying imagery and pawning the photos off for next to nothing; how will you compete?

Newer Post Older Post